Heavy or wrinkled eyelids can be corrected by the procedure called Blepharoplasty: depending on the clinical case, the action may be limited to the removal of excess skin, or extended till the elimination of deep fat pads and the reorganization of the orbital muscles, till the change of the eye slicing. Duration may vary from 30 to 60 minutes.
The skin tightening that follows, also involves an improvement of periorbital fine lines.
Blepharoplasty may be carried out simultaneously, both on the upper and lower eyelids. After the procedure scars are minimum and imperceptible: in correspondence of the upper eyelid the scar is located almost entirely in the bottom of the groove that is formed by opening the eyes. In the lower the scar will be located under the eyelid edge ciliary and protrudes laterally for less than one centimeter.
In any case, the scar will be less visible with the passage of time, from subject to subject variable, and anyway coverable already some few days later with a corrector.
Blepharoplasty is performed under local anesthesia with mild sedation and with immediate resignation at the end.
The result is great right from beginning and the slight alteration of the first days due to unavoidable post-operative swelling and bruising will definitely establish in few weeks. The operation does not interfere at all with the visual capabilities. Obviously, the quality and the result, are inevitably linked to the technical abilities of the plastic surgeon.
USEFUL TIPS TO FOLLOW BEFORE AND AFTER SURGERY
- Before the Blepharoplasty is important to indicate the presence of eye diseases and inform the surgeon of any possible treatment already undertaken with drugs
- The patient must suspend medicines containing acetylsalicylic acid
- At least one week before is necessary to eliminate the smoke and report onset of a cold, sore throat, cough, skin diseases.
- In the immediate eve need accurate and complete cleaning washing hair and face carefully: for women also remove the polish from nails and hands, remove make-up carefully, paying particular attention to the removal of the mascara from the eyelashes.
- If the operation is performed under general anesthesia do not eat or drink after midnight.
The day of the surgery to keep fasting strictly.
- Just after the surgery rest at home few hours with ice packs on eyes and forehead.
- The presence of a loved one to assist is recommended.
- For at least 10 days must neither wear contact lenses nor force the view.
It is appropriate to protect all day orbital area with a pair of dark and wide glasses: it will be prescribed antibiotics for a few days together with a gel to be applied before bedtime to protect and hydrate the conjunctiva. It is advisable to sleep in the supine till removal of the stitches. During the day artificial tears shall be frequently be applied. The hair can be washed on the second day post-op, with the utmost care not to wet the eye area. The removal of the points usually occurs after 5 days and then you can wear makeup: other facial cosmetic treatments should instead received the surgeon’s consent. From post intervention, for at least one month must avoid the direct exposure to UV rays and intense heat.
Strictly follow the advice and prescribed practices as indicated by the plastic surgeon, far-reaching implications on the achievement of the desired result: as with any plastic and cosmetic surgery, the surgeon patient cooperation is essential for the success.